Tuesday 10 September 2013

Day 2. On top of the Pyrenees

Today it rained, it rained hard. but in the true style of a Cumbrian lass a bit of water wasn't going to stop me. As I climbed to the top of the Pyrenees I couldn't help thinking how awesome this was.  Yes it was a little miserable and the descent from the top was a little tricky! But I felt great.  The extra weight was not as bad as I had thought. It felt the same as climbing in the Alps but this time I could only go at a gravity laden speed. And all on all that was good enough for me.  

So I reached the top of the Ibaneta pass in fog and rain.  Stopped to get off and take the picture (bike is in it) and just breathe in the silence and the air.  There were many pelegrinos of all nationalities on foot and the game was to try to work out how to say hello in the language that looked appropriate.  "Hola" seems my best option now but not knowing any Spanish is a bit difficult.  Note to self buy a phrase book. 

It was cold on the way down but I had decided to keep going for Pamplona   There were masses of cyclists making there way up the hairpins as I was coming down.  Seems to be a bit of a hotspot.  

So now it's tent erected and I have brewed my first cup I camping tea! Marvellous. 

All in all another fine day! 

No comments: