Monday 16 September 2013

Alberge

This was a fantastic experience.  As I walked through the door to a sunlit courtyard I was greeted by the owner Pablo and Belli.  A feast of salad and lentil stew followed.  After nights of salami and chorizo this was a welcome feast. 


The conversation was light and enlightening.  No one asked what do you do or where do you live but what country are you from and how long are you travelling.  Apparently my experience of the large alberge was typical for the municipal run hostels.  100-200 people housed in a hut.  Think battery hens and you have the image.  However this was a small beautifully designed rustic alberge.  The showers were modern and the bed was a welcome comfort.  I shared my room with another pelegrino who's name I did not know.  All in all a fantastic experience.  I was up and ready to roll at 8.00am. Good idea but very cold. The sun was not yet high  in the sky.  But today was to be the hill to the highest point so I wanted to head out early. 

I was given answers to some of my questions but the one that stuck out was the 20 year old women who said she wanted to strip everything away and to see who she was underneath.  

There were answers about spending time with uncle and nephew to take the time to really talk. And my latest? Because I need to get away so that I can think about my life without being disturbed by the day to day.  Each and every peregrine has an inner quest and a spiritual journey to fulfil. 

Although I was also told that some young people in Spain undertake the last section of the Camino so as to claim their certificate because it looks good on their CV !!! 

No comments: