Thursday 12 September 2013

Day 4. Rolling

Today was a great ride.  I set out from the deserted alberge (these pilgrims start early it would seem) and headed into the sunshine. It had rained in the night so for the first time I had to contend with a wet tent. Simples! Roll it up and worry a out it later. 

Plenty of steady climbs and sweeping descents.  In some places the roads  were busy but not that scary and always with a wide hard shoulder to ride on. It's quite remarkable cycling along beside two lanes of traffic and seeing lone cyclists hacking up the side.  But that's what you do. 

I was a bit peed off with my guide book which professed that there was not much to see along a major part of the ride   This guide must have been a buildings fanatic because I could see very little wrong with the acres if rolling vineyards and terracotta earth.  The hills at just so expansive it's breath taking.

Mind you there are indeed monasteries and churches everywhere. All pretty and inspiring but also very crowded with curious pilgrims.  I confess to just carrying on although I must try to stop and take a few more pictures.  

After Pamplona  I vow not to stop in major cities or circuit round them and to always push on and find a campsite in the hills so to speak. Talking of which I glowed with pride as I came across a fellow whom I had passed on the largest hill of the ride so far. 

Carlos was travelling with two new friends picked up on the way. He was concerned as the woman Mikka was struggling. I took one look at this lady and reached into my bag to give her one of my precious (only carrying three) gels.  Carlos explained that he'd been telling Mikka how she should not be put off and to push on as only the other day he been overtaken by a speedy woman (me!) who climbed like a Brazilian!!! Well  I was so chuffed. I suggested she eat more drink frequently and not to push so hard.  She seemed more at ease and I left them all with much cheerful high fiving and Bueno Camino and set off to see if I could find a few more hills to play on. 

In Estelle I finally bought a new tyre so I was now feeling happy. 

Tonight I'm camping in a fantastic site in Navrette. I pitched my tent and headed back into town in search of a real meal. I haven't eaten properly and it's not good. So taking myself in hand I found a bar serving the pilgrims  menu.  This was bread water minestrone soup, chicken escalope and chips and finished with yoghurt honey and walnuts.  All for 12 euros. 

I seem to add amusement to wherever I pitch up and they always seem to know I'm a pelegrino. Maybe the Keith Richards look of bandana and unkempt hair  is getting a bit extreme.
Note to self. Buy a comb

So back to camp and a quick brew before bed. Oh yes I will always make room in my bag to carry a tea bag or two and a kettle so to speak. 
 



No comments: