Wednesday 18 September 2013

Day 10. I'm going to give it a go.

After yesterday's slog I was not looking forward to what my guidebook said was the hardest day of the route.  It wasn't far wrong.  

The push out of Saria involved an up and down route which the book said was akin a hard days ride in the Lake District. Cheers!!  

But I had 130 km to cover to make it to Santiago on schedule.  And you know how we control freaks love a good schedule!

The route still passed by stunning Monasteries and on this occasion I heard the bells being tolled and could see the bell rope being pulled from inside. A strange sight and a reminder that people do in fact reside behind these walls.  This Monastery was outside of Samos just before Saria so a little out of sync. But the images are just so beautiful. The whole village had a great sense of peace and calm about it. 


So up and down the route I went.  I passed many pilgrims on cycles that I seemed to pass before but alas I didn't see the peloton again.  Although I was told they were hoping to arrive the same day as me. 


Here we have a statue of Santiago. ( St Jaques) pointing the way onwards. Had I been able to ride and take a picture I would have loved to show you all one of the cyclist pilgrims hugging the side if the road up and over and sweeping round the bends.  We were all in a line with an odd array of panniers and bikes of all types. Stopped to try to help one cyclist but alas it was a mountain bike and that was just foreign   
But I did manage to take one of the horse pilgrims.  He was the only one I had seen but they seemed very content to amble along.
The roads and paths are now peregrino thick and Aulberge after Aulberge. Cafe after cafe as the provide for the passing weary travellers.  

 I was truly horrified when I stopped for a break and when trying to find the bathroom passed a dormitory at the back of a cafe.  It was horrendous.  About 20 bunks crammed into an airless room.  And people were in there because they needed to find a place to sleep.  Sorry everyone, it may look mad taking a tent but I have never regretted my decision and this only confirmed it for me.  I know as cyclists we are able to whizz off the path to find better accommodation but I'm happy.  I just wish pilgrims were treated with the respect that accords them.  Hey Ho :-(. 

So imagine my delight when I saw this at about 3.00 pm 

I estimated an arrival of 8.00 pm and pushed on.  The road was still brutal as it undulated through eucalyptus forests   

And finally at about 7.30 tonight I passed this stone. 
 I have arrived into the town of Santiago. But my journey is not over.  I found the campsite having cancelled a pre booked Aulberge and set up home.  My thinking is to take a night to rest and to try to get up early in the morning so as to arrive at Compostela de Santiago in early light.  before the tourists. So watch this space my friends for the final images.  How I will feel tomorrow is a mystery but tonight I shall sleep like a bear in a helmet. Awesome 

No comments: