Saturday 14 September 2013

Day 5 Burgos

As I left Santa Dominico I felt in very good spirits.  The sun was shinning and I had some kilometres to travel.  I wanted to get to Burgos for my next stop.   As I came to the top of long climb I was greeted to the sight of a welcome alberge in the trees. Perfect.  There were several on foot pelegrinos there sipping well earned cool beer.  There say was done. It was 4 o'clock and they were ready to rest for the evening. Actually we spent a good half hour chatting and swapping notes. So my remarks in the sharing of the journey are about to be altered.  It strikes me there are various levels of Pilgrim.  The Australian back packing full of youth and exhuberance and then there's the Aiken solemn Martin Sheen "The Way" pilgrim.  I think I know which camp I fall into.  So we solemnly chewed the cud and parted with pleasant exchanges all round. 

Another solitary pilgrim I came across had a Lynnard Skinnard badge instead of a shell.  I mused on this for no more than two minutes before bursting into song as I realised how appropriate a pennant it was:- 
"If I leave here tomorrow 
would you still remember me. 
For I must be travelling on now 
Cause theres too many places 
I've got to to see."

So I sang my way tuneless but happily into Burgos 

Another amazing cathedral awaited me but this one I saw only from the outside as I had to find the campsite and get sorted for the evening. 


By the way the sky is real!!!

The night at Burgos was loud and noisy and a huge campsite. But again I was bowled over by the generosity of people as I was shown the way into town by a Spanish couple who spoke no English and I spoke no Spanish but we seemed to get along just fine.  How dies that work! 

And this morning I was handed an unsolicited cup of coffee from my neighbouring campers as they applauded my bravery at travelling this journey.  

In our busy fraught lives I think we can loose sight of the golden hearted nature of many of our fellow beings.  





No comments: