Saturday 14 September 2013

Day 5. Really? Where is the time going

Today I found my stride.  I'd planned a very long day but had given myself the option of splitting it into two if I felt the need to "chill".  As I rode into Sante Dominico it was made for me. Actually I didn't quite ride in to the town, I'd been caught up by the Belgian peloton of charity raising pelegrinos I had bumped into on day 2.  It was good to see I was keeping a good pace but when they munched me into the group and turned up the pace I thought I'd expire! Actually you KVG peeps I'd like to say I kept up a good chain gang with them but when I wanted to drop off and elbow flicked them through they shouted "no no come on..." Just want to mention that they were full on carbon and no luggage.  I did us proud KVG. 

But the Cathedral was calling and i peeled away gasping as and I decided to hang up my shoes and be a tourist for an hour.  I'd made good time in the morning so why not?  And anyway Pilgrims are allowed some fun...

I
The cathedral did not let me down. I sat in quiet contemplation looking at a beautiful triptych on the crucifixion of Christ and tried to work out who all the women were at the crucifixion.  Home work I think. 


I also learned that depicting two hens with eggs is a symbol of abundance. 
I'm fast learning that asking people to help is actually ok and usually everyone is obliging. Even if your sticking your head through a hole and trying to tell them how to take a picture.

And finally in the cathedral I just had a feeling that I'd find St Catherine. I have mentioned her before as the Patron Saint of travellers specifically sailors.  But I had to laugh when I found her... 
It seems she has had trouble with her wheel too! 

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I love the fact that you can find those 'put your head through' characters to take photos on an important pilgrimage as you can at the seaside!