Wednesday 18 September 2013

Day 9. Hard push to Saria


Today, Tuesday was hard.  I had known that I was to climb the 'longest' pass on the pilgrimage but I wasn't expecting it to be that long.  In some ways it was harder than day ones hill because it just kept going and when you thought you had reached the top you turned a bend and there was more.  But in true spirit I pushes onwards upwards and passes many who had given up.   By now I had no sense of the extra weight I was carrying it was just what it was.  
This picture gives you a glimpse of the ascent and the road winding up the hill is where I had come from.  Awesome!
When I finally reached the top I was greated by the sound of a church service and singing going on in the small church at the top. 

It is said that the Holy Grail rests here, but I will need to research that on my return.  As it was I took a place at the back to listen to the French conducted service.  It was a welcome moment 


And so began my descent.  This was no where near as scary as Cuz de Fer and by now I was accustomed to descending with the weight. 

I stopped halfway down to take a picture if this statue.  I had been blessed with beautiful sunshine, but by the look of this pose it appears to be the exception not the rule.


I had decided by 5.00pm that my legs needed an early night. But I still made my 'stage' as I cruised into a beautiful campsite in Saria.  I even managed to sit in the sunshine and rest for a short while. 

I'm getting a dab hand at erecting my tent and home is soon established.  Wistful the bear is also enjoying the comforts of an already made recliner!!  Home sweet home 

No comments: