Wednesday 30 July 2014

Full turn homeward

I had hoped to head to Holmavick as there was a museum of socery and witchcraft that had taken my fancy. I set out along the road and turned into the road that was to take me over the mountain to the village.  There was such a string wind that I was literally stopped in my tracks.  A huge sign was showing the temperature as 11deg and the wind spew was in RED at 16.  I guess that's knots??? Whichever it looked like this was not going to happen.  I smoked to myself that perhaps the dark forces didn't want a little witch like me poking around.  I had to think about it though!!

So I now turn the bars to face back towards Rekjavik. This is not easy to do as I'm loathe to stop this exploration of such a magnificent land.  

I'm given the option a 20km trek overland with the wind behind me towards the next campsite or a 80km round the coast on a track.  Well it was always going th be that one wasn't it.  

It's amazing how we can divert ourselves away from that return to the airport.  I know I have 4 days left but there is something so poignant about deciding the furthest point has been reached and it time to stop. 

But today's jaunt was so peaceful.  I stopped my bike at one spot and realised I could hear no other sounds but the odd seagull. Even the wind had abated. Silence. It's something we forget exists. 
All was going well until I turned the corner back into an increased headwind.  It had grown strong.  Another 40km to go.  I had hoped for a hot pot soak but that had gone out of the window.  By the time I reache the campsite it was too late and I was too tired.  Luckily the only pizzeria in the village was open so after a vey fast tent build off I went. Good hot meal makes all the difference. 

The night was windy beyond wind. I am pleased to say Wistful and I slept like logs and was only vaguely aware if the gales buffering the tent.  The campsite was such that I actually slept with my bike too. It's amazing what you can scrunch in to a small tent! 

On another note, Wistful has taken a shine to a new garment for her wardrobe but I've told her that Auntie Nicola is going to run one up for her when we get home!! 


I am taking a bus today across the inner land. It has little to offer to see per se but my legs need a rest and I have cunning plans for the morrow. 



No comments: