Friday 1 August 2014

Last Hurrah

Today (thurs) is my last full cycling day.  I could have caught the bus all the way back to Rekjavik but that would have been a bit like a cop out.  

There looked like a wonderful route around a lake and into the national park north of Rekjavik.  There was even a campsite there.  I studies the contours and sussed it was flattish apart from perhaps 10km in the first 30km.  The whole ride mapped about 70km so that looked doable. 

As I set off the wind was harsh but the sun began to shine.  Thus started a glorious day of sunshine cycling and space. 

  I soon found myself alongside the lake and I even stopped to have a sandwich and lounge in the sun.  Beautiful. It was warm, peaceful and the moss was so soft.  Very tempted it has to be said.  

The houses to the side of the lake looked pretty special although all boasted CCTV.  




At the campsite I had bumped into two ladies also out cycling Iceland.  As I sat musing they whizzed past. Which was good because the next section of the road turned into something else and it was useful to have a comparison. They were both on Mountain bikes and even they confessed the hard ride and had to get off and push. I hadn't hesitated as I knew this terrain was not for my bike!

And it went up and up and up!  I was brought to mind of an old Qi Gong expression that the amount of effort that was required in all things should only be enough to effect a change.  So I  relaxed into my lot and cajoled my bike up the escarpment. There was a wide stream to cross and no bridge.  I looked at my feet asked permission and simply waded through shoes and all. I concluded they would dry on the way down! (I am now sniffing and beginning a cold so guess that was stupid!)

This was to be the final highest point on my trip.  When I reached the summit the sun was blazing and I was perfectly placed for a pic. I even had someone to take it. 

Then it was a simple descent off the top and a ride down the Kaldidalur pass into the national park. Once I found a better surface the pace picked up.  The sun was in my face and the wind behind me. What's not to like. 


And so I reached the campsite. It was 7.30pm and the sun was still strong.  Sod it, let's go for Rekjavick. 50km more but I was sure I could do it.  I had to have a quick Nutella sandwich stop amidst the good luck stone piles,
but I made good time.  In fact it was pretty poignant. As I cycles into Rekjavick my one and only sunny day was coming to a close. Awesome.  
Tomorrow (Friday ) I can take a day and have a look around the city. 

No comments: