Thursday 24 July 2014

When the wind blows

It really blows.  Now I had read about this in the guide books too. But being a Cumbrian lass I wasn't to bothered about the odd gust.  Well there's nothing odd about Icelandic gusts, they come straight down off the mountains and swirl right over and through you.  I actually had to stop my bike twice to regain balance. There was one point I was laughing because I was leaning 45degrees into the wind to hold myself up. At least I was laughing!

All was quickly forgotten when I pulled up to my campsite chosen because it had a hot tub. After half an hour gently poached at 39degrees I was a happy bunny. (No boiler jokes please!)

The landscape is so utterly amazing. It is vast huge and very beautiful.  It reminds me of Cumbrian moorland set to a backdrop of oceans and lakes. There are Curlew and Plovers too.  So I am at home here it has to be said.  

As with all things blog like and photo like my offerings don't really do it justice but I'd like to think you get the idea of just how awesome the space is. The light is very odd too. I actually climbed out of my tent last night at 12 and it was still light. I describe it as eclipse like. Sort of grey! Odd.

So last night I was relieved I had re proofed the tent. Tonight I am equally pleased I bought sturdy tent pegs. I hope they work! 

And for fun. Fish photo no 1 :-)

More news tomorrow. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It looks amazing. I showed Mike your pics and he says he wishes he
was there too.
Don't think you would want to share your tent with him!!
Lots of love xx