Wednesday 30 July 2014

Goodbye Snaefellsnes

Befuddled of Brenchley here has decided to hop on a ferry... Cheat cheat cheat! Well as in the great bear hunt, I can't go over, under or around, I have to go through.  Not being a strong swimmer with a bike attached (and Wistful can't swim so blame the bear!)  I have opted for the civilised route. 


So I leave the peninsula behind as I head further north, (what not further north!) to the western islands.  

And what may I ask is the plan? Another good question!  This trip has taught me the element of sheer adventure that technology and gizmos can dampen.  I'm using a Garmin but only to record the route and mileage as I gave up routing on day one. 



The outcome is that I sit at night and pour over my maps drooling with excitement. Which makes a change from the digestive-biscuit-lava flow that normally accompanies my evening musings. 

I was very unsure as to make my way back inland and turn south towards Rekjavik or push on further.  As this is only Sunday the first option felt like turning the ship round and heading for home. Not yet.. Not yet!

I would have liked to touch the Arctic  Circle but I'd miss my flight and that would never do. I am however making an executive decision to push north and then turn east along the shore and finally turn south once I hit the mainland again. If I'm running short I can simply catch a bus down the N1.

 What could be simpler. Well it does involve a secondary road and several steep hills that look tough but I can't let the thought of those get in the way of my journey. So that's the plan.  Everyone on board? Good. Then let's continue. 

No comments: