Wednesday 30 July 2014

Bike of the Mountain

It's not often I give myself Kudos but for today's ride I shall give myself some.  So why go to Iceland, and what was I hoping to find? Today I found a part of me that I haven't seen for quite some time and even I was in awe. The sheer grit and determination in facing adversity and knowing it was down to me alone to come through the other side. This was not about joy, this was too base chakra, this was the Heros journey and it was all of my own doing. 

I set out from one campsite heading for the other.  This was a ride of 120km and would take me along the coast and over a couple of charted hills.  I thought to myself ahhh this is a 6 hour ride no probs. maybe 7 if the winds against me. 

It was and so was the road surface, a loose surface of chippings, gravel and ash. Oh and did I mention that the hills numbered over 4 and were all over 8% and lasted on one occasion 11km.  Ahhhh. That will be why all the cars about 30 in total that passed me were giving me huge thumbs up and cheering me on.  I needed it. 


At one stage on a 15% kick my bike stopped going forwards and I didn't cleat out in time.  Wallop.  At least there was no one but me to laugh at myself.  Strangely I wasn't laughing.  I relented the 500 meters and pushed.  I didn't push much more than this as I was determined to finish what I started. 

There was however nothing between the campsites, I mean nothing. So the only way out if I couldn't make it was back to the beginning and that was not an option. I knew this was the case so had sort of prepared for the solitary ride, but even I was surprised by the ascent.  Given my pack load and the road surface I deserved my Kudos.  There were no points, no PBs, no queens of the mountain,  just brute force and determination. But I was not alone, at one moment that wasn't particularly optimistic I looked up to see that the Universe had conspired to send me my very own, "you are almost there" banner! What a blissful moment of spirit and joy.  

When I eventually arrived at the other campsite 9 hours later even the receptionist was agog. So much so he gave me an extra cup of tea on the house. As with all thing like this all I can say is "Bloody Marvellous".

At this point I'd like to thank my trusty bike. I would never have completed today on any other bike I can assure you. The 15% long descents on loose gravel confirmed my choice of disc brakes.  The 35mm tyres, cyclocross, sang across the ash, and if there was ever a moment of hesitation it was operator error not the bike. Thank you my beautiful, trusty steed and thank you Shand Cycles for building my Stoater. 

No comments: