Thursday 1 September 2016

Passing through Passau

Having decided to rest easy this morning I broke camp about 12 and set off to Passau.  I had a 70 mile ride ahead of me but I thought that as my route passed through the town I would take a moment.
The Cathedral was worth stopping for so parking my bike outside (locked!) I went in.  What really gets me is that I can just walk in to thi
s stunning interior and sit and take a breath.  I can wander down to the front and look at all the beautiful paintings on the walls and ceilings.  If I should choose I can light a candle and add a name to the prayer book.  I can do all this and it doesn't cost me a bean.  If I go to St Paul's Cathedral it will cost me an off putting sum of money to wander along carefully roped walkways. Hmmmm something's very wrong in so many ways.  Ho hum!







Back on the road and i am following the Donau all the way to Lins.  I thought it would be busy with tourists but I seemed to have streatch after streatch all to myself. The road surfaces were good and the sun was warm.  Perfect. 

I was in so much of a daydream that when the road turned left I followed without question.  When the road started to go up slightly I thought ok here I am, a hill!  Well that's alright. When the road started to head skywards at an alarming degree I began to wonder.  Ok so maybe it's just until the level bit ahead.  Nope, it kept on going up.   Right! now something is definatley wrong. As I successfully managed to get to the first bend I had to stop to get my breath. That was hard!   I thought maybe it would have levelled but I could see this was only the first of what could be several hairpins. The monkey in my brain was having another attempt at getting me to go off piste and get lost.  But being wise to this happening and resisting it's chatter, I pulled out my maps and had a look.  Ahahhhhaaaaa.  So this way was what some would call more than undulating, more like crazy and the way I wanted was 2km back. I had missed the sign.  
It was with great delight that I descended this humongous incline to get back on track. 

The journey for the remainder if the day was just a peaceful and gentle ride along the river bank.  I was entertained by the swans and river birds and when I did stop to rest my legs, there was not a sound to be heard.  Fantastic.  I had my own personal river! 
My campsite tonight is in a farmyard on lush green clover. The only noise to be heard that could be called disturbing is the occasional plop of an apple falling out of the tree. I think I should sleep well tonight. 

Crossing the road? Well this is an interesting one for you.  On the water today was a small boat with a young couple aboard. They were somewhat stranded and were not quite sure how to navigate away from the shore. But they were laughing and having fun.  I couldn't help but wave and give a big "hallo!" To which I got a favourable wave and hallo back.  It's good to laugh I thought. But that's not really crossing the road is it. Just as I was pondering if I could use the sighting fairly, I turned around the corner and there right across the road in white chalk... "Go With The Flow".  I so laughed I could hardly pedal.  I wondered if perhaps my boating couple should see this.    But just to add I am in Austria now and this was written in English.  As it would happen I had two more similar sightings further down the road. "Keep on going". And "You are almost home".  I can't help but feel amused at how a random message meant for another could be so cheerful to those that follow. 

No comments: