Sunday 4 September 2016

A border crossing or two or three...

I'd like to introduce you to my wide eyed teenager.  We bumped into each other this morning and I can now tell you her name is Simona and she will only be a teenager for another month or so.  Simona is heading back after the Geo Cache awards to Bratislava where she lives and studies.  She gave up her morning to take me on a very special tour and for that I thank her.  


We cycled along exchanging information about our different cultures and life in Slovakia.  She was horrified by my experience of entering Bratislava (which is the capital by the way) via the concrete bridge.  Not the best introduction to the town or country and I was equally taken aback that the English drinking habits were not considered a problem and that there were quite a lot of nationalities visiting the place.  I liked her frank and open attitude.  

Simona was taking me to a place just down the way where the borders of Austria Slovakia and Hungary converge.  It was quite something.  Very peaceful but slightly 'isolated' which I guess it would be if no man owned it.  Various statues and stone structures marked the spot.  A bit like Stonehenge without the stones.  I will have to check but I bet it's close too where lay lines cross! 


After scrambling over fields and railway tracks to get back to our route I had to surpress a giggle as it did feel like we were trying to enter the country by the back door.   I was sad to say goodbye to Simona and again just to thank her for the time she took to help me see her country through her eyes.  Much the best way to dispel preconceived notions. 

The rest of the day was hard.  The heat was way over 30 and as Hungary (ooops crossed a border again!) has very gravelly bike paths I began to navigate my way the old fashioned way with maps and small roads. Note to  self.  When exploring Eastern Europe make sure you have the maps on your Garmin.

At one point I just gave up and sat down in the shade of this beautiful church.  Tomato and Salami sandwiches just taste so good out here.  



I have been converted by both countries. They are so peaceful and the care that is bestowed on each village is obvious by the well kept communal gardens. Both countries are very, very pretty.   This was confirmed when I entered the city of Gayor.  It is breathtaking and such an eclectic mix of old and new.   I happily wandered through the streets looking at the buildings and pausing to watch the cheery antics of the children in the fountains.  

No 'drinking' streets to be found here.  A quick indulge of a bananna split (what's with me eating all this ice cream!) and off I set in search of a campsite. The first was closed and the second idyllic.  I settle in to the sound of wind in the trees, owls hooting and distant dogs barking.  Bliss. 

Crossing the road; now I'm cheating slightly today because this is a sort of crossing and I didn't think a big hairy caterpillar would do.  This morning I woke to the tittle tattling of field mice as the tried to cross beneath me.  They seemed to get very annoyed when they kept bumping into my sleeping mat and then having to follow the count our round to the other side where the cookies should be kept. I can confirm that they were mice because I sat up to make sure mr hedgehog was not out for a rummage. 

1 comment:

anne said...

Hi Sheila,

I've just caught up with your blog - a 'blog binge'. I'm so impressed, I love it! the photos, descriptions, anecdotes, observations even the rants!

My favourites have been the Viennese teabag lady, the goat being chased by the dachshund, the 'go with the flow' message, the impromptu concert in Linz (sitting in pee!), the churches, the fountains, the rivers, the ice creams... well all of it!
It's inspirational and so sensitively written.
Enjoy the last few days of your journey
Anne x