Saturday 3 September 2016

A rude awakening

Now it's really hard to write a blog with integrity and yet not offend anyone.  So I've been mulling this one over on how best to comment without doing so and decided to just say it like it is.  

I have been happily mooching along the Danou through Germany and Austria and today I entered Slovakia.  Only the tip of it but none the less Slovakia, the border was obvious. The militaryesque huts, barriers and the defined cycle way were alarming after the Sound of Music life I had been cycling.  It felt like I had been dropped into a post apocalyptic set from a movie. We (there was a troop of tourists travelling this way) entered via a large concrete bridge that was coloured with multi layers of grafetti. The signs were sporadic and I lost my way a couple of times. I lost the troop and headed along the river wishing I had circumnavigated the city of Bratislava.  But I had wanted to see the town as I have no experience of this country and it's people. I persevered and headed into the city.  I'm pleased I did. 

The town was alive with people, colour, folk art markets and music.  It was a bit of an overload to be honest as I wasn't used to the crowds.  But two ice creams ( from different stalls ) later and I was chilled.  Hahaha.  

As I wandered through the lace market and the wooden carving stalls I began to hear a familiar chant.  "Yeahhhh eahhhh Baby!!" In healthy Northern English accents. As I turned the corner it was as if someone had whisked me to Ibiza. I was getting quite dizzy with all this tele transportation.   So I have decided I am a complete snob.  It was just after lunch and the bars were already filling with the loud English revellers getting ready for another 'filling'. It made me want to cry.  How can we as a culture descend en masse into such a traditional town and pretty much just trash it? Do we think it's ok? On what level is it ok.....  I know we are helping bring money into the town but seriously? Rant over.   Time to leave and find a campsite.  

But before I leave Bratislava be open to it. It has a warmth of heart and a sense of joy that defies the grey concrete entry.  The buildings are worth looking up for and the music is everywhere. Traditional dancing in the main square says it all. It is the soul if the city and hopefully we won't trash that.  


I headed off back onto the river path and carried on.  The landscape is pretty scorched and dry at this time if year and it is fabulously warm.  The Slovakians love to rollerblade. Every where I looked they were cruising along, all ages and all styles.  If the English would take a walk, the Slovakians seem to take a blade and just go for it and enjoy.  I actually passed one woman who was practically jiving on her blades in her own world listening to her music.  It was good to see.  

Now the campsite.  Today is a day you couldn't make up.  I find my campsite is based on an island in the middle of the river.  (Thank goodness I have bought a mosquito repelling band) You get to it via a floating pontoon bridge. But that's not the wierd bit. I find that I am camping behind the main stage at the biggest Geo Caching event in Slovakia.  "The biggest ever" said the wide eyed teenager I bumped into on my way to the showers.  I passed muster in that I know what Geo Caching is, but I failed because I didn't accord it with the Kudos that it obviously deserves. Tonight apparently is the big awards ceremony... 

So it is going to be a loud evening. The plus point is, the campsite is 6 euros and I had a feast of a meal of chicken soup, deep fried cheese with chips and a piece of chocolate torte for. 7 euros.  I can put up with Mustang Sallie for that for sure. 

Crossing the road, (especially for Sam!) a drone. No kidding. As if selfie sticks are not enough, being buzzed by a passing drone as the happy owners fly it across and up into the sky then look up and wave at it is just going a bit too far.  Told you I was a snob! 

3 comments:

Vinn said...

I don't blame you for ranting She. Pathetic isn't it...
Good gear list. I wonder how much it all weighs (yeah, I know, you didn't take any scales with you)

ClaireC said...

Aaah you made a young boy very happy this morning! He asked me to let you know he thinks you are "seriously cool" - quite a compliment I'd say! :-) xx

Simona said...

Hi Sheila :) I hope you are having a safe and interesting journey. I do not think that the tourists in the centre of Bratislava are in any way interfering with the traditional city atmosphere. If there weren't tourists, it would be quite deserted, to be honest. And when it comes to drinking, we are not that far from Russians in that respect, Slovaks just don't drink in the old town, because it is expensive
Your writing is really good, it flows nicely. I like your blog,
It was really nice meeting you.
Cheers
Simona