Tuesday 6 September 2016

Rain glorious rain

There is little to say about today's planned ride as it was to be a day of mile covering. But I woke to horrendous rain pelting down on my tent. Note to self: Fabshield weather proofing really works a treat.   Might as well turn over then and get some more sleep.   Having done this for another half hour or so,  I decided enough was enough as I had planned on getting to Budapest today.  So get up Sheila! 

The weather gods really do deserve a Christmas card from me. No sooner had I assembled my kit and dried my tent in the dining shelter (packing a wet tent is a pain and a no no if you can help it) than the rain eased and I stepped out into the morning to a fresh start.  

It was another of those "let's change the route" days. I had concluded that following the Danube through Hungary was not 'remarkable' enough to make me want to cycle on their cycle paths.  They are definatley set up for 26" wheels and chunky tyres.  So I thought I would hook up with the Eurovelo 6 and follow that.  Great plan. 

However the  Eurovelo is work in progress. When it's not realised, the route can take you off down small unpaved paths.  This did happen but remember it had been torrential all night and morning so those lanes were a no no as they were no better than quagmires.   Maybe I'd have been better off to keep my cyclocross tyres on but given the ammount of times I would have benefited it wasn't what I wanted to do. 

So I set off with my "to hell with the plan" attitude, turned my nose toward Budapest and just winged it.  Well not quite as I had an idea where I needed to go.  Instead of going along and down I was aiming for the Hypotenuse of the triangle.  This worked well until I got to the N1.  The sign in front of me was not messing. In short it was a big red triangle with a horse, a tractor and a bike on it. I took that as a personal message  "You can NOT go on this road Sheila" they must have been forwarded my description from my lovely Gendarmes in Calais.  

Back to Garmin navigation then. I asked it to avoid busy roads, toll roads and unpaved paths.  It tried to get me on the N1 but I was wise to it's little pranks. All was good but light was fading and my lights were only good for another half hour.  

It never fails to amaze me the power of trust and when you are on a pilgrimage all that you need on your journey will be provided.  I needed help.  It turned up just around the corner. The lady in the kebab shop did not speak English. But with some strange non verbal communication I managed to get her to make me a cup of Earl Grey tea and let me charge my lights whilst she closed shop.  The best cup of tea I have had this trip.  I thanked her whole heartedly and she understood my thanks.  As I stepped out into the night I looked up and thanked the Universe once again.

The next hour was spent pedalling hard to get to Budapest before my part charged lights faded once more.  I stopped to sort a slight bag loose problem and thought maybe I will just check the campsites. I was 5km out of Budapest and unsure where I was going to sleep.  I asked Garmin to find me a campsite and would you believe it there was one 490m away.  Half an hour later my tent was pitched and I was standing in the shower room eying up the taps.  All I wanted was a really hot shower as I had been without for the last three days.  Not so much Sweaty Betty more like Stinky She. (Wild-ish camping and cold showers) My hopes were not high.  I turned the tap and waited... and waited...  and .... Hot, lovely hot, lots of hot, hot hot hot...water. I swear I'm cleaner now than when I set out.  

Refreshed it was time to cosy down into my sleeping bag and enjoy the idea off sightseeing in Budapest. 

I didn't manage to take many pictures today for the blog but this shows the sky and view from the top of the hills before the descent towards Budapest. 


Crossing the road. It has to be the snails.  As it had rained the roads were louring snails of all description out onto the tarmac so that they could do a bit of wet bathing before the sun came out.  I have to confess I didn't wait to see them cross the road completely but I can assure you that none were harmed by speedy bike tyres.  That took some doing!

I won't post my "I have arrived" post until I reach the centre of Budapest tomorrow. 
But I have passed the city sign 😃

2 comments:

Rene said...

Why did the snail cross the road? Because it knew how to get some publicity! x

anne said...

Did you hear about the Snail Olympics?

The snail sprinter discarded his shell to make himself lighter, but it just made him more sluggish...

Sorry!

Enjoy Budapest and your last few days.
xx