Thursday 1 September 2016

Linz to Melk

Sleep wasn't easy last night.   I woke with a start and a pounding heart and all senses were on high alert.  It took me a mo to settle and work out where I was.  Usually this happens when there is 'something' wandering in the night but perhaps it was just a damn big apple falling.  Sleep was disturbed and I woke somewhat unrefreshed and headed out.

Linz was on my path so again I decided to stop over and see what the town was like.  At first it was with disappointment as many of our usual high street names were right in front of me. But if you stop and simply look at the buildings rather than their tenants you are treated to some fine architecture and a rich palette of colours ranging from salmon pink to ochre and olive greens. But the hue is most definatley on the pastel sugar range rather than the strong English Suffolk 
Once again I sought out the cathedral and was astonished at the difference to yesterday's cathedral in Passau.  It was light and dark.... Chalk and cheese. 

Today I was treated to a very dark somber palette broken only by the stained glass that filtered rainbows into the building.  It was by no means off putting just different and the play of shafts of light on the vaulted ceilings was fab.
After the cathedral I discovered a side street with another church, the Alter dome, nestled unassuming between it's neighbour buildings.  This smaller church was similar to Passau and had much lightness around it. As I sat in a pee quietly contemplating music suddenly started up.  There was to be a concert this weekend and I had the good fortune to be listening to a rehearsal.  It was an enchanting moment.  
But time stands still for no one and I had some miles io cover.  I may have only been in Linz an hour or so but I knew enough to know that you could probably get quite happily lost In this secretive city.  Every doorway seemed to beckon you through into courtyards of lush planting a or hidden antique shops.  What I will say about the town is the very dense structure of streets and buildings that are punctuated by the occasional church or cathedral spyre. 

I had in mind getting up Krems by tonight so that I had a very short ride into Viennna the next day. But it seemed that today was not quite on schedule as I stopped just east of Melk.   
There was no other reason than the light beginning to fade and the desire to put up my tent in daylight. 

This trip is beginning to alter a lot of old habits for me.   I have only had one cup of tea today (Outrageous) and I am in bed by 11 most nights.  (Unheard of). I could become used up both of these changes but let's not be too rash. 

Crossing the road? Sadly it was flurries of autumnal leaves.  This is no lost image on me, not only as the season is changing but I am also at the fall of my journey.  Gulp! Tomorrow's Friday and I had no idea.  Better get a wriggle on!  


Note to self... Don't forget to top up on air in the tyres.uhh  After all a pressure of 65psi may be good for the bottom on gravel roads but my goodness just feel the speed when They are pumped back up to 90.psi 

2 comments:

Rene said...

:) x

Vinn said...

I had to go back and read several times to realise you were sat in a *pew*, and not relieving yourself in the church!