Friday 2 September 2016

Ahhhhh..... Vienna

(I have added pictures of Vienna throughout the text as I have so many to share)

A very early start today, this must be a record.   I left the camping site at 8 am and by the time my stomach had realised breakfast was missing I was 30km further down the river.   


The travelling was fresh and sunny and the paths were again quiet.  My plan today was to get to Vienna in time to have a look around.  I also planned to stop at the camping site before the city so that I might pitch my tent and cycle unencubered into the city. 
As the sun climbed I was making goo time so decided to stop and pick up provisions on the way.  T bags! The Spar shop was a welcome sight.  The strange thing is that all I have been craving this trip is yoghurt and fruit.  I bought two massive pears and an apple from a stall on the side of the road and mastered the art if chomping a juicy oeat what moving. I haven't tried the youghiry that way yet. But let's face it flies on the spoon would put you off.

Anyway, I came out of the shop and sat down to eat a large pot of fruit yoghurt and to put the rest of my supplies away.  The box of tea was way too big and I only really needed ten bags to keep me going at most. As I sat sunning myself contemplating life, a little old lady hobbled her walking frame over to the bench and made to sit next to me.  I glanced at her basket of food and noted a basic selection if ketchup and the like.  As she sat down she began to chat to me in Austrian and whilst I answered her back in English she shrugged and continued to chat.  We spent five minutes or so not chat chatting and then I thought ahahah! I picked up my box of tea and asked if she would like them...  Her little wizened fingers pecked into the box to remove one tea bag..... Noooo said I handing her the box.  She looked so pleased and immeadiatley squirrelled them under her supplies. We then sat in the sun and discussed my trip.  She understood everything with ought hearing a word.  A wonderful start to the day.  

The next surprise along the way was my mysterious white chalk guardian.  Today I was treated to the word 'look'  and then five minutes later 'listen'. I did as I was told.  In five more minutes the comment 'it's beautiful isn't it' I laughed and as if by magic with perfect timing came the picture of the smiley face in bright white chalk.  


Further down the road I had a gift of a peloton of strapping chaps out for a ride. Well I wasn't going to miss this one! So I hopped on the back wheel if the last rider who gave me the thumbs up. "All is good" I shouted. He nodded.  I spent the next half hour riding the draught and realising how much easier it is in a group.  At difficult junctions they sort of watched for me but didn't slow or wait, not that they needed to, my legs were feeling good.  When my junction came and my time for lunch I waved to them all, thanke them for the pull and turned off.  Whoever you were chaps, many thanks and I hope your weekend is a good one. 

I arrived at my campsite just as the heavens opened but as a practiced tent pitcher it was up in a flash and not wet at all.  Now the camp site was right next to the train station so rather than cycle into Vienna I hopped on a train and was there in twenty minutes.  


I have decided that Vienna is one if the most beautiful and intriguing cities going.  Now I was seeing this city at dusk and I didn't have time to visit any if the numerous museums or art galleries.  I did however get to St Stephens Cathedral. 
Now I didn't take any pictures inside because to be honest it was so amazing that no picture would do it justice. But of I described the interior it would be built in the style of Gieger, the inspiration behind the design for Aliens.  Yes! It really was that dark, gothic and totally fascinating combination of macabre and sacred.  Even the stained glass windows were of muted tones.  It was a very special place.  I quietly watched the numerous people who came to pray and to light a candle. It struck me that a building needs to be this big and this powerful to be able to cope with the burden of all the troubles souls who come to share and commune. I left Sy Syephens feeling lighter and at peace.  


The pictures I am adding here are not brilliant but I hope they give a time if what I saw tonight.  My intention yet again is to return with Charlie so that we can both unravel the mysteries behind this city. 


Crossing the road? Awwww I was treated today to the dash of Mr stoat.  Red fur with a yellow flash on his chest he was gone before he'd even arrived.  



3 comments:

Vinn said...

Thoroughly enjoying your blog She! It's so well written - you should write a book! And well done for finding the time to write it each day - I know how difficult that can be. Any chance of a photo of your bike 'fully loaded' - I'd be interested to see it. Keep on riding!

ClaireC said...

Wow Sheila. Remembered today about your blog so Sam and I sat down together and read it all. What an amazing adventure you are having! Sam has had a total giggle reading about what crosses in front of your bike :-) Enjoy the rest of your ride and stay safe xx

Rene said...

So beautiful...lucky you. A guardian angel is on your shoulder and the spirit of adventure is in your heart...what more could you ask for x