Wednesday 7 September 2016

My little friend

This morning I had so many plans about what I would be doing but I did not think for one moment I'd be doing this on my last day in Budapest.  

If you don't like sad stories please don't read on. Stop where you were and just let my trip end in the curtain of water.  

When I turned in for bed last night I reached for Wistful for company.  But she was not there.  I sat up in panic and rummaged through rucksack, bag and tent. I went out in the night, and flip flopped back to the bustop to check if she had fallen on my way up the hill. But I went to sleep without my bear.  

Now many may say, ahhh that's daft... tis only a bear! But if I can just say Wistful has been with me on all my wanderings  and has been as vital a part of this blog as I.  Today I will go in search. 

Up very, very early... camp down, bike packed, breakfasted and out and it was only 8.30.  I cycled back into Budapest. I knew where I had been, what stops I had made and where I may have left my bear.  

I have searched the bins in Parliment square and accosted the street cleaners. I have sat in a resteraunt whilst the manager has looked at CCTV.  I have sat outside the Turkish baths and waited for the change of staff so as to ask... Have you seen my bear. I even have a piece of paper with the words written in Hungarian (thank you kind camp lady) so as I can put forward my plight to those who don't understand my language. And finally I have sat at the bus terminal and I have watched and asked every bus driver on the 291 service... Do you know my bear.  

I have no happy ending for you here. I have no grand reunion.  I have tears in my eyes and a hole in my heart for my lost travelling companion. 

I have asked Saint Anthony for help but even the Saint of lost things has no answer.  I am bereft as I sit on the plane taking off knowing my bear is somewhere  down below in Budapest.    I can only pray that my bear is about to go out on her own journey and to continue to wander.  I hope she has a hand to hold when she's lonely and I can ony trust in the Universe that this was meant to be. 

Ahhhhhh Wistful.  You have been such a good friend and I'm going to miss you.  

I hope to see you all again next year and forgive the sad ending to what had been one of the most remarkable trips of my life.  I had no intention that I would be travelling by water and flowing back to source but as I think about it... What else was it going to be.  

Crossing the road... if you should see a little bear with a jingle jangle necklace crossing the road in front of you, stop and wave and say "Hallo" to Wistful from me.  


Sheila x

2 comments:

Vinn said...

Ahhh, I'm so sorry to hear that you and Wistful have become parted. A sad ending to a remarkable story. Well done for doing the journey and keeping us all entertained through your blog - very inspirational!

anne said...


What a mesmerising blog, but with such a sad ending. I was so sorry to read about Wistful.

A friend and I wondered if you could set up a facebook page, maybe even offering a reward, to see if Wistful can be returned (after her solo adventure). It would be a way of harnessing the power of social media.
Just an idea because I felt so sad reading about the loss of such a faithful, little friend.

Thank you for such a wonderful account of your water inspired journey.

Amazing!