Tuesday 19 July 2011

Tonbridge to Paris: Stage 1

Having cycled for all of nine months and completed a 50 mile training course, a four day intensive training camp and a last minute 100 mile ride round Romney marsh, a trip to Paris seemed to me the perfect Pilgrimage Stage 1.  It took a some courage for me to stand up and ask to be counted when a last minute place became available (I owe you Naomi!!) to ride with the team.  When leader Bee agreed to my taking part, it was on the condition that I achieved my 100 miles. I upped my training in line with the rest of the girls, learned at least three verses of Lady Gaga's  "Bad Romance" and was supported by Anna in a 100 mile ride around Romney. I could do no more and I was so unbelievably happy...  well, up to the point the panic set in that is. Questions and doubt kept sneaking in. Was I ready to do this ride, could I cycle for 250+ miles over three days  and would my simple, aluminum framed, triple cassette, entry level bike get me from Tonbridge to the Arc de Triomphe...

Hell yes!!! I was determined to give it my best and so I became one of the 27 KVG girls (including a few Boys) to set off on the three day ride.

Day one involved a speedy ride down to Dover in time for the ferry including the ascent of Dover Hill.  But  probably due to the added adrenalin of the coming trip and all the extra training we had put in, it was a very different hill this time!  I still swore at the top and grunted loads... but it was very achievable. The ferry across the channel provided the team with a little respite before we set off into a horrendous head on wind for the long ride from Calais to Boulogne over the Caps.  Even Lady Gaga kept quiet on this stint, there was no spare air to sing!!!

Day two was a joy.  We happily banded together to cover the 125ish miles from Boulogne  to Abberville.  The sun shone, the road was flat and the mood was fantastic.  With our support team Tony and Cass feeding us superbly every thirty or so miles the mood was boyant.  Ok it wasn't a breeze, it was tiring, but we all managed it without too much of a sweat.  Yes we were glad to fall into a warm bath... and then eat... and eat.... and eat.  Well maybe not that much, but we did EAT!

Day three came too soon for me!  I was just breaking into my stride when i realised that actually this was the last 66 miles.  Mixed emotions.  I wanted this road trip to last forever, I wanted to be chatting to my cycle buddies non stop... I wanted to see France from the saddle.  But I had to be content with seeing Paris grow in the distance and to realise that this was indeed a big event.  We had all worked so hard and as we began our ascent up the Champs de Lysee...  my heart was about to break.  I didn't know whether I was going to laugh or cry.  I was just so proud of myself.... and so happy to be there.  As we began our circuit of the Arc de Triomphe my face ached from grinning.  We had done it... stage one!


Although traditionally a solitary experience of reflection and inner contemplation, this pilgrimage was slightly different and solitary was not an option, well not with my good friend Lorri as my roomie!!.  I'm going to dedicate this paragraph to my roomie and to team Quartz.!! That was our nickname for the seven of us because just like a piece of quartz we were always cutting it fine!  This band of happy cyclists, Anna, Valerie, Lorri, Ian, (me!!) Pat and Jo had stuck together and supported each other throughout the three days. 

We were visited by other members of he crew from time to time, and yes there were odd moments of tension, but very few... and usually when the GPS and maps just gave everyone a headache and the hotel seemed miles away!  But when you have spent three days in the saddle staring at each others arse 24/7, you can't help but bond.  So thank you team Quartz!!  And Lorri... a special thank you for making the nights especially amusing...  I haven't laughed so much in years!!!  But people? if you don't know Lorri, this joke will be lost on you but take it from me, this "roomie" was a gem!

The next day as I wandered around the streets of Paris I was indeed tired but happy.  The rest of the crew were in a similar space as silence replaced the laughter as each and everyone of us prepared for the trip home.  

Whilst walking along in silent contemplation, I began to ask myself if this really was the beginning of my pilgrimage, had I really found my path?  Trust me this was not a set up, and I am not making this bit up for effect... but as i rounded the corner a few moments later this is what I found and I could have cried with joy. 

 This was indeed my Chemin St Jaques!!  (Sign No 3)

No comments: