Friday 29 July 2011

Day 3 in more detail

Day three Vouvray to Poitiers.

This was always going to be a difficult day.  The idea of 88 miles after such a long journey the day before did not inspire me to jump out of bed with glee. The saving of the day was the idea that at least I marginally knew the area and would enjoy seeing it from the saddle.

Setting off after breakfast I had one important stop to make. The pilgrim routes from Chartres and Orleans converge just outside if the town and I wanted to stand on this spiritual crossroads.  There was no major tribute or plaque as I had expected but at least I found the sign post.

Cycling through Tours was a joy.  I was now into the stride of the day and had discovered that the cycle paths and my Garmin were both on my side.  Pulling up to a set of lights I was approached by an elderly gentleman who wanted to know about my travelling companion sat on the back. (one teddy bear called whistful!!)  He was so enthusiastic about my trip that we exchanged details so as to meet with respective families later in the holiday.  He apparently had also cycled the Chemins at the age of 15 and our conversation had brought it all back.  Daniel expressed his desire to talk in English with intelligent people!! When I looked around for said people, he laughed.  So we shall hopefully catch a cafe later in the hols.  If you have ever read the Celestine prophecy you will know that such chance encounters have to be followed through as there are no such things as chance meetings.

Tours is a beautiful city if you look past the urban area to the  old town. Apparently heavily bombed in the war a great deal of effort was put into rebuilding the town as it had been with the cathedral a spectacular centre piece.

I found a cycle path that followed La Loire out of the city which was a perfect way to exit the town but with one small problem.  In deciding to build a new office the planners had neglected to consider the path so the whole route was barricaded off. This would have stopped most people but I was on a mission.  Carrying my bike over a storm drain and up round the fence I found a gap in the sheeting.  As I scrunched down to clamber through I spied something small and shiny in front of me. A shell.  I might be trespassing but was undoubtably on the right path. (SIGN 5) i squeezed through.  As I stood upright and brushed myself down  I came face to face with the site manger.  Ever a polite Velo girl I apologised 'Desolee!' but commented that my GPS route was straight through.  He nodded me on not because he was on my side but probably because it was easier than having to grapplep with my attempt at a French explanation.

The rest of the morning my journey took me through beautiful sunflower fields and even included a few 'Anna inspired' routes. Basically shortcuts across the fields and whilst not the best for the carbon brigade do able for my composite steed. Sometimes the simpler the track the more it has to offer.  By using these odd 'off road' routes I not only saved time but I saw the wilder parts of the countryside.

I was beginning to flag and in need of a break. L'isle Bouchard was a perfect stop with it's small brasserie set on an island in Le Loire.    This was my wall moment and one that I was glad to climb over.  My family told me later that they thought me most odd to opt for the extra 45 miles to Poitiers rather than the 5 miles to our French cottage.  I can't tell you how hard I had to work to keep peddling.  The reward was obvious. Once out of Richelieu where I stopped for a refreshing fountain spray the road opened up to some of the best views around.

I arrived in Poitiers at 8.00 that night.  As I rounded the last few bends to the Notre Dame the heavens opened. Why now after three days did it decide to pour?  I was however undaunted and I accosted a young woman to share the rain with me for the sake of this final picture.  It would have taken more than rain to dampen this moment.

J'arrive.

1 comment: