Tuesday 26 July 2011

Should I stay or should I go now.... If I stay there will be trouble... (Clash song hum along)

There was a moment today when I nearly stopped for the night just outside of L'ile Bouchard 45 miles into the day.  I thought I can finish this tomorrow.  True I coud have but I knew deep in my heart I would have felt I had not done my pilgrimage.  I also thought that perhaps this was part of it the temptation to give up.  So I wrestled with the idea over a cup of tea and a jolly good ham salad.  I made the call to Charles, would he like to meet in a village 10 miles down the road.  I figured then I wouldn't feel so bad.

As I set off my heart was lighter and I decided I could sleep well and finish in the morning. Besides I'd have more time to look at the church.

When I arrived at the village faster and fresher than I expected I decided to change my plan. It was only another 28 miles so I cancelled Charles and set off.

The thing about this solitary pursuit is you can only rely on your self to talk yourself out of those bad decisions.

So, my knees ache, my bottom is numb but I will sleep in peace tonight.  And just for the record I couldn't have let you all down now could I. I think even Garmin would have been a tad dejected!

When I arrived at Notre Dame in Poitiers I nearly burst into tears.  This has been a long haul and one I won't forget.  I will add more after some rest so keep watch.

Oh and the last five minutes of the whole three days the heavens opened!  Qu'elle suprise!!!

2 comments:

MinimisingMum said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
VeloGirl said...

Fantastic Sheila - very well done. What an inspiration. BeeXx