Tuesday 19 July 2011

KVG.... my lead out team!!

Turning up to day one of the 'introductory course' on a new road bike, (grey and black... but still awesome), cleated in and having only ridden seven miles in an hour was I thought pretty good going and I was never made to feel otherwise.  In fact, under the careful eye and compassionate coaching of Bee, my legs ached, my lungs complained but my heart sang....  if this was cycling, I wanted more.

One of the best pieces of advice given...   if you want to get cycle fit you can do it two ways.... cycle once a week for nine weeks or three times a week for three... your choice.  So I joined in with KVG rides as often as I could over those early days.   The cycling was exhilarating if a tad labored to begin with.  But with the goal of the Chemin St Jacques tucked away close to my pounding, oxygen starved heart... I stuck with it. The Autumn sun gave way to the snow and ice of winter but still I was out on (or indeed off!) my bike whatever the conditions.

What I hadn't planned when I started this malarkey was the camaraderie.  There are good friends to be made in a group like this, just ask Mark Cavendish....  he knows what it means to have a lead out man and be part of a team.  KVG kindly introduced me to mine with most of my progress made with the help and encouragement of the Hatties, Sarahs, Valeries, Lorries, Lindas, Carolines, Sophies, Helens, Jos, Janes, Julies, Cass, Katrinas, Paulas and Naomis of the group.  But the coaches? Ahh.... the coaches. The Bees, Claires and Annas of the world have a special place in my lead out team....  they have inspired me all the way to the foot of Dover hill, led me up and over it and watched me sail into the distance as I began to train in preparation for my to ride to Paris.

This was to be my Stage one....  Tonbridge to Paris in three days...  Yee Haaaaa  bring it on!

No comments: