Saturday 23 July 2011

Preparing to go it alone.

The last few weeks have been fraught with activity as I prepare to embark on my pilgrimage Stage 2, Paris to Poiters.  I have decided to do this stage solo which as a concept in itself has raised a degree of concern.  The strange thing is that the people that show the least concern are indeed my family.  My husband Charles has never doubted my decision and in many respects there seems to be a glimmer of pride or is it just a wry smile at the obstinate determination that he has had to put up with and come to expect from his wife these past 25 years.  My children Harriet and Hugo think its amazing...  and apart from fighting over who gets my seat in the car on their own journey down through France, they seem pretty relaxed about it.   As if this is a normal day in the life of Sheila Woollam.

Wessex 200K with Anna and Bill, Hastings 43 up and up and up again with Sarah and Essex 75 Orchid (wet!) ride with Lorri.
When I mention what I am contemplating to others, the immediate response is often angst and fear.  I can see them thinking of the punctures, accidents and the sheer distance to cover on a bike.  But what I see, is the freedom to set my own pace, to tackle the hills the best I know how and the freedom to just meditate to the tempo of my bike.  I see the joy of discovering the silence between religious stop overs and the idea of just pitching up under my own steam.  It is just too good to resist.  On the face of fellow KVG riders I see admiration and envy.  Getting away for three days of cycling is a KVG dream for many. 

In preparation over the last five weeks I have cycled to Hasting for fish and chips, tackled 200km around Salisbury plain, a 75 miles around Essex and finished with the last big trip of 100 miles to Cambridge.  I am at the stage of having done quiet a lot, worrying about not having done enough and discovering there's no time to do anymore.  So I guess I am ready.  I have had my bike cleaned and preened by Jack and I am confident in how to change a puncture, tackle the odd mechanical and navigate my route.  I have hotels booked, trains are ready and all I have to do is pack my bags and saddle up.

I plan to take three days for this stage of 250 miles.  Paris to Chartres, Chartres to Vouvray and Vouvray to Poiters.  I may stop off for an extra night in Chatellerault, but we will have to see how I get on.  So from tonight, my blog will go live.  I will add to it as I can and with the best piccies my phone will allow.

So stay with me peeps and enjoy the ride.  Oh and I have my shell ready to pin on the back of my bike just to let the rest of France know that a Kent Velo Girl is on a pilgrimage.

No comments: