Friday 29 July 2011

Day 2 in more detail.

Day two Chartres to Vouvray.  This was to be the longest section of my journey. 106 miles in total.  The weather was good and not too hot and I was rested after my trip out of Paris the day before.

I did take time out to visit the cathedral and to light a candle for a good friend. Even though I knew my day was going to be tight time wise this was part of the trip and in many ways to just head out without stopping off would have belittled my whole reason for travelling the Chemin.

The journey started well and I happily covered the miles without too many hills or difficulties. Whilst the day before had been littered with places of interest today was to be a view of the large arable landscape of the Loire's Landes.

Whilst taking part in the Wessex 200 one of the organisers mentioned having completed this part of the journey. She had not enjoyed the flat landscape preferring the hillier aspect of the Le Puy Chemin. For me I was ecstatic. Not because of the lack of hills but having been brought up on the moorlands of the Pennines, space is what makes my heart sing.  So to come into such a rich expanse of a landscape I felt quite at home.

I was very aware of being a solitary traveller at this point and whilst if I thought about it too hard it might freak me out, I settled into a comfortable tempo and enjoyed every moment.

Vendome provided some respite as it offered up a pot of tea and a croque Monsieur.  I marvelled at the rococo facade of the towns eglise but time was now becoming critical. I worked out that I had forty miles to go and it was now around five o'clock.

Heading out into the countryside once more I was pretty relaxed. Just as well considering what was to happen next.  Because I had originally intended to visit a town off route and then rejoin my path I had forgotten to make a note of it and it was still entered in on my Garmins route.

I found myself on top of a plateau in a region called Le Temple. I swear that this area was a cross of lay lines as my usually very good directional senses became very unhinged. I cycled the same circle of road at least three times from three different angles. If it hadn't been for the fact that the hill in the middle was such a bitch to get up I could have easily been caught in this loop for many hours.  As it was I lost an hour. I gave up on the Garmin pulled out my iPhone and began to untangle the mess. I had a paper map as well so no huge sweat. This had to be the scariest moment for me. This was when i realised the true meaning of solo.  I pulled myself together and made a decision to cycle in opposite direction to my Garmins advice. We fell out a bit at this point. I knew I needed to now cover miles and fast.  It was nearly 7.00pm and I had 30 miles to go. I opted for the direct if slightly busier roads and thanked every roman designer who had had a hand in building them. They were straight and direct. My big chainset came into it's own as I cranked up the pace.

It was dark as I covered the last ten miles. This was no Paris 24 this was just little old me and my cat eye lights.  But I held my nerve and cycled on. My iPhone was pinging with texts from Charles to check I was ok but I didn't even stop to answer I was head down and peddling hard.

I made it to Vouvray for 10.15. Exhausted was not quite the word I would have used and whilst I had hoped for a long restorative bath a shower had to suffice. The owner however took pity on me and opened up the kitchen so as I could have a cup of tea or two or three!!  

I slept heavy and sound that night!!  On reflection I might have been too ambitious in the miles to ride but had I not been Bermuda Triangled  I'm sure all would have been well. And anyway I got there in the end.

No comments: