Thursday 9 July 2015

Spooky goings on.

Do you remember the mountain hut I had stayed in on Saturday night? Here's a reminder just in case. 

Craig informed me of the history of this small hut and I have to say my legs turned to jelly when he told me. 

Apparently this is the oldest hut in Iceland and is looked after by a warden Arnie. They had met Arnie as they had pitched their tents there the night before I had got there.  Arnie stays in the hut but the night I was there he had had to go to meet a member of his family so it was empty by chance rather than design. 

Now this hut is not a popular place with the Icelanders as it is haunted.  Apparently there is the spirit of a young girl haunting the hut and she appears especially to female campers and even more so if they choose to sleep in the bunk on the west wall.  She is said to have them dreaming of a young girl carrying two pales ( buckets ) oif water from the nearby river.  

Now let me tell you my side of the events.    I hadn't intended staying at this hut but as the previous one was actually a derelict building I had had to push on to this one.   When I looked inside it hadn't appeared spooky just a little unloved. I stood in the middle if the room and chose my bed.  Of all the bunks in the room I chose the one on the west wall even though the plastic mattress was not particularly inviting.  As I was sitting musing over the pasta cooking I looked around and idly thought of having to carry my two buckets of water from the river in order to survive living there.  It was a wierd thought and as such I had logged it as just odd and probably more to do with my OCD need to clean the hut.  So you could say that's just me. 

In the middle of the night I woke with a start in a cold sweat. My heart was racing ten to the dozen but next morning I put this down to being in a strange place. Rest assured though I kept my eyes closed and didn't look out from my sleeping bag into the shadows.  

Finally, and this is the odd bit.  As I made to leave the next morning having placed everything as it should be I was about to close and bar the door when I stopped. I turned back into the little hut and stood in the centre of the room. I put my hands together in a praying pose and bowed to the room thanking it for sharing it's space with me and wished it Namasta. Those familiar with yoga will recognise the spiritual acknowledgment of that action. I closed the door and left.  

You can put all this down to coincidence but sadly I won't be agreeing with you. My philosophy of synchronicity and the divine is such that I knew I had had to be at that hut that night.  Did I dream? Indeed I did but it was a deep and notable dream that I would rather not publish here. Sorry about that but let's just say I have lots of food for thought. 

And finally.  Craig produced his copy of the same guide I have on Iceland and showed me the entry that told you about the haunted hut.  I opened my copy to the exact same page and I had a description in the exact same words minus the part about the haunting. Well you couldn't make it up... But this is Iceland. 

When I get home I shall do a bit of research and see what the history shows. So check back in a week or so and if I find anything to add I shall. 

No comments: