Thursday 9 July 2015

Off to Mysvatn - Wednesday

Yes there is a day missing. I spent Tuesday resting washing and catching a bus to Akyuraire and from there ride to Myvatn.  The idea being that it was a glorious sunny day and I needed to recharge the batteries.  And this time it wasn't the iphone or Garmin. But this meant plane kilometers could be covered by bus and I could adventure again fresh. 

The draw to Myvatn was simply because it is considered a gem of the northern fiords.  There is also a natural spring bath akin to the blue lagoon but not as touristy. The draw to the thermal pool was huge. I could do with a good soak.  

So Wednesday I set off to cycle the ringroad, the infamous N1. The view from he road of Akureyri was beautiful. 

At every turn there was something new to see and I had to keep stopping just to take pictures. The badlands had indeed been bleak in comparison to this landscape. 

I was amazed to see the simplicity and clean designs in Icelandic architecture that I toolk were used as tourist huts. 

But I had miles to cover so I needed to stop happy snapping and get on with some cycling. But I have been aware that you loyal readers have been starved of anything but rocks and dust these last few posts. 

There were some notable long climbs to get over some of the passes but to be honest the surface of the road was such that it didn't phase me it was simply matter of time over distance at a steady 8%. That was doable rather than tragic. 

But on top of one if the passes the weather was bitter. I came to a sign and was informed that it was indeed 3 degrees. No wonder I had my winter gloves on. In fact at the next stop I purchased a glorious new wool beany. Now I don't add to my kit unless it's necessary so you can see it was indeed cold. 

But the kilometers passed and once in the valley I could see why this was considered the gem.  It was stunning and yet unusual. A perfect blend of lava fields,  lakes and fumeroles.   I just had to keep stopping.  



And then at the end of another long day I pitched my tent, put wistful to bed and headed off to the baths.  I was not disappointed. This place stays open till 11pm and even whilst it's nearly freezing I spent an hour soaking in the lagoon. 
This and the next picture were both taken in natural light at 10.30pm. Just wanted to give you an idea if the crazy night light here. 

And finally to show you the steaming springs of Myvatn. 


Pasta pesto and a bit of blogging and I'm sleeping with all my clothes on and a beanie on my head. My goodness it can be cold here but thankfully my sleeping bag is well cosy. 

No comments: