Thursday 9 July 2015

Crumbs from the Campsite - Monday pm

I'd like you to meet Craig and Dom 
When I arrived late Monday they took one look at my exhausted face and asked? Would you like to share our food?  Rule no 1 of these journeys, park the English polite response and go with the gut instinct. Yes please! The next question threw me, Are you Vegetarian?... I was afraid it was a trick question so after several dumb brain ticking minutes... I eat vegetarian food? That was it confirmed my head was starving and would not be happy if I mucked up the invitation. Craig smiled knowingly and Dom replied, We know what it's like to have a hard day. 

There followed an evening of swapping stories and tales of tragic roads as they too had been loured along the Kojulr route. In fact I had been tracking a set of tyres in the dust and I reckon it was theirs.   Anyhow I learned a few important things that I hadn't known before.  

The actual route had literally been closed because of the winter conditions  right up to the day I arrived in Iceland. I had looked a few weeks before but hadn't considered it would be a problem. I had been lucky obviously. 

Appatently there is a cycle touring festival in Clithero  next year as this Aprils had been a great success.  Speakers workshops and a coming together of like minded adventurers on two wheels. So I think that may be worth a sticky note on the calander. 

Craig was pleased that I too had known that the Apollo astonaughts had trained in the badlands in preparation for the moon landing.  Cool! And sorry I forgot to tell you about that.  

The next morning I bade the merry pair farewell as they headed off to the west fiords with the hope that we would meet again in Clitheroe. Safe journey peeps. 


No comments: