Thursday 9 July 2015

I have a plan - Thursday

The truth is the weather in the North is way too cold for my liking.   I woke to descending fog, drizzle and a core temperature of just above zero.  Sorry but I don't have the clothing to manage theses temperatures let alone the will to ride in them.  Whichever way I looked at it I was going to have to climb out of the valley back along the route I had come.  I had already bought a beanie and didn't need a second.  So bus here I come.  

Sat in backpackers cafe in Akureyri ( worth a visit great food and fab relaxed atmosphere) I had a good meal of local fish and peas (oh joy) and hatched the plan. 

I hate this part in the trip.  Too little time to go gallivanting for miles and too much time to waste sat in cafés.  The thing that I love the most about this country is the extreme solitude.  I am not good in the busy campsites and tend to shy away from the crowds.  So I have decided to  use Friday to cycle down the Kalididalur route from Hasafell to Pingvalla.  Camp the night there and then finish the trip riding back in to Reykjavik on Saturday.  That way I am avoiding the N1 and using the time to explore the full route that I called the Kalahari dessert from last year.  The only thing to scupper this plan will be the weather.  Having checked I should be into 10-15 degrees with some sun.  What's not to like.  So fingers crossed and sorry but looks like the forthcoming pictures and going to be bleak again.

No comments: