Sunday 5 July 2015

Badlands 'edited' - Saturday

The interior highlands of Iceland are known as the badlands.  In years gone by the judicial system had it laid down that if you committed a crime that was considered significant or you just kept on repeating them, you were banished to the 'badlands'.  (That's those hills in the distance with the glacier between the hills)

Now I don't know what my crime has been but today feels pretty damned banishing to me.  


When I first considered Iceland I wanted to do the Kjolur route through the centre but was put off by the apparent hard core nature if the route.  Well there is plenty of hardcore here and it's pretty much strewn over the whole road and that's on the good bits.  So guess where I am. 
However not content to pitch my tent amongst the crowds of tourists at Geysir I thought I would push on to the next campsite. Mistake? Depends on how you look at it.  And believe me I have looked at it in all manner of ways. 

This 'detour' was only a 15km streatch. But a bit light the daylight in Iceland it seems to go on forever and it took 3 hours to get there. 
If you squint really hard you will see the 'hard core' road.  But if that's no joke? I have to go back that way to rejoin the F35. So what's so special about this campsite? Well actually I'm going to spend the night in a mountain hut. And this is the end if the road today. Phew! I deserve a snickers bar for pudding tonight!

And if I need to get up in the night for the loo it shouldn't be hard to find. 
So quick bowl of pasta and head down in my bunk. This is a first! 

Night all!

No comments: