Sunday 12 July 2015

Homeward bound - Saturday/Sunday

After such an exhausting day on Friday, I managed to sleep until 9.30 before the campground noise woke me for real.  Breakfast.  It would appear that these last days have taken their tole on my calorie intake as I seem to be eating like a locust.  I mean two muffins for breakfast!

Pingvellir national park is a beautiful place to be.  Historically this is the place where all the judgments as to who was banished or not were decided.  Pingvellir is the seat of the original judicial service of Iceland.  If you ever get a moment read up on this fascinating system. It seemed that it was an open dialogue between criminal, victim, judge and the general public. But I've probably made a simplistic assumption here. 

Apart from the glorious green valley that it sits in the only sad detail regarding the campsite was the cold showers. But the day was warm enough and I had been spoilt by piping hot steamy showers all week. 

The cycle back to Reykjavik was uneventful but quite poignant. I rode through the lupins, past lakes, over wildness and slowly descended into the cycle lanes of the town.  These well kept paths weave and wind their way alongside the busy thundering ringroad. Riding these lanes makes a perfect alternative to the traumatic exploits to be had on the N1.  Don't get me wrong, the ringroad is brilliant as long as you are out of the city.  It's just intense and congested in the suburbs. 

As I arrive at the campsite I feel a completion to my circle of adventure.  Was it really only 10 days ago that I started this journey?  This is always a moment of wonder to me as a travelling soul.  You return a different person from the one that left and there is always a sort of 'knowing' air when you glance around at those about to begin. 

Anyway, showers were calling but sadly my poor wee tired bike would have to wait till we were at home to be restored to its shiny clean self.  It looked like I felt!

The locust was beginning to demand attention and, as I had been given a recommendation for an eatery Svarta Kaffi which served a soup in a bread bowl it seemed a great way to end the week.   Thanks for the tip Harriet!
Many would be participating in the Glacier Wine or the Danish Porter but I was very happy indeed with the cup o tea.   

And it was off to the airport.  This time rather than hanging around the campsite till the very early hours I decided to be a student again and go sleep at the airport. And I don't mean in a hotel, but the actual floor of the airport lounge. It reminded me of attending a Meat Loaf concert in London and sleeping in Euston Station! Oh to be a student again. But this time I will have you note  I was upgrading my accommodation with my Thermarest inflating may.  As with all good plans sometimes they hatch a problem. 

 I managed to find a quiet little hobbit hole and hunkered down but alas security found me. It might have been  the huge pair of feet seemingly sticking out behind a solitary bike bag that gave me away. Apparently I am allowed to make myself comfortable on the floor if there are no seats but "Madam, you are NOT allowed to sleep" this had me smiling.  But I concluded that if I was smart I could prop myself up to look tidy and snooze between security alerts.  I managed a good four hours before the throngs arrived. Still, it meant I could be well ahead with this blog. 

So here I am. About to set off and say goodbye to Iceland.  Will I return? Probably not. She has seen the best and the worst of me and I have watched her toss and throw me left, right and centre. I feel broken and rebuilt.  So why do it? This was a nagging question that kept running through my mind whilst on the way to the airport.  The intuitive sense is that I came to Iceland to pitch myself against my inner Viking and pay homage to the earth mother, Gaia.  Some may say it was a futile quest and perhaps best left to lads on Fat bikes. There is a little part of me that thinks that too when I count the bruises on my legs in the morning. 

But honestly? for me I felt I left with the hand of Gaia laid gently on my shoulder turning and directing me back towards civilisation.  I have made my right of passage. In many ways I came back to Iceland to conquer some of the the fears left behind from my first trip but in doing so I found much more this year. Unconsciously I have helped a lost spirit in a lonely place and witnessed rainbows in the face of adversity. So If you wish to doubt the sanity of my quest please feel free but just to say in my opinion it's been one pretty damn cool adventure.

"Take a passion... And make it happen"

I will add one last post to show my journey on a map. But until then fellow travellers and readers I bid you farewell until next year.  

Iceland it was good to be here. 




1 comment:

Hitchhiker Marc said...

Hello Sheila!

I don't know if you remember me. I'm Marc, the Barcelona guy you met in Blönduos. We talk for a while in the gas station's dinning room and you told me about your blog; repassing my trip's notes I've found the adress of your blog and here I am! I just want to say that it's very interesting, I think you've captured the essence of Iceland in your articles.

Greetings and hope everything is going well :)

PS: And please, write an article about the enchanted house you slept in!!!