Sunday 3 August 2014

Rolling Stone

The journey home was pretty straight forwards except that I wasn't able to sleep until I was on the plane.  I had to wait up to catch the bus at 3.30am which was a bit of a drag.  The bike was now cosy in its box and all wrapped up in pipe lagging and my meticulous bagging in certain colour bags, orange for home clothes, black for bike clothes and blue for sleep stuff had gone out of the window. I didn't care as it would all be washed at home anyway.  So it was stuff as much as possible into a large bag as you can, sit on it, do up the zip and then realise you needed that jumper anyway...

As I stepped off the plane I was shocked at how warm it was... or was it that I just hadn't realised how cold I had been.  My feet by the way were perfectly dry by now and the cold hadn't transpired from my paddling across the unbridged river.

Bath and bed after a cup of tea. I couldn't believe how soft a mattress felt it was a luxurious and pleasant experience. I slept soundly for several hours and as I began to waken I realised that Iceland was many miles away now and home was here.

So to sum it all up? I am I awe of Iceland and have yet to finish my journey. I merely scratched at a small corner of this island and there is still so much yet to see, do and cycle. But I wouldn't go back lightly as knowing what it requires to travel solo in such terrain would mean that I would have to be prepared for the trip, mentally as much as physically.  It takes a lot to decide to go on holiday to a place that's bound to be colder than the one you live in!

However, I felt very at home in this strange place. The solitude and the extreme conditions melded well with my inner being. This was a journey of soul rather than spirit and one that I am proud to say I have done well.  I have faced the wind, fallen on stones and waded the waters. I have laughed in the rain and shied away from the gales and I have, as always, been shown the hearts of other people.  When I was in doubt I was given a rainbow to lighten the load and fellow travellers to show the way. I have wrestled with inner demons, sang silly songs, soared with the birds and flowed with the wind. I am indebted to Iceland and it is a land that I shall return to. Many who know me will be surprised to hear that as I don't like to repeat a journey when there is so much to see in the world, but this is different.

As ever, my thanks go to my many friends for their support but there is one friend who I owe a special mention to.  So Dave Lockwood stand forwards and take a bow. You gave me only one word last year "Iceland" and sent me a map in the middle of winter to keep me on track. You have yet to visit this land and I am sure you will find it as I left it in my mind, perfect, I hope to read of your journey before too long.

When I walked into a cafe after a very hard days ride and the wind was howling through the valleys I heard Neil Young playing in t eh background. His words brought a wry smile to my face;

                 "Make a living like a rolling stone, on the road there's no place like home...."

Charles Woollam, you were always there waiting for me to call whatever the time. The warmth of your voice stilled the wind and kept me warm through the night. Much love to you, my fellow traveller in life.

Iceland? I thank you.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

is your insurer sheilas wheels too? Nice blog btw!