Friday 1 August 2014

Waiting for the bus

Deciding to take a day off and catch a bus was not as easily achieved as I had thought.    The only bus was leaving Bourdanes was at 20.16 that night.  I had my tent packed and was ready to leave well before then. So how did I fill in the hours!

It was so windy I didn't wish to be outside. So I found a wonderful cafe with two very large soft sofas and a kind soul who lent me her phone charger. 
It was going to be so hard filling in ten hours with sofas and teas.  But I was giving it my best. 

These grow wild in the verges.  Fantastic colour of green.  This cafe was actually a very trendy affair. Lots of nick nacks, coffee sack cloths and the odd tea towel to boot. 

The idea in Iceland is that lunch is usually a bowl of soup, plate of salad and a chunk of bread.  I watched as my cafe soup was being made.  Crab and shrimp! 
This was created with a tomato and cream base and garlic for piquancy.  The bread was home made as was the salad.  It was a marvellous affair.  I couldn't take a picture but hopefully the description works.  

Still 6 hours to go.  The only shop in town was a supermarket affair of all sorts. In the back was a wool shop that puts Barsleys to shame.  It was a cavern of a room stocked with Icelandic  wool.   So a quick purchase of a crochet hook and two balls of wool and I spent the rest of my stopover sat crocheting Granny squares.
  I was suppose to be resting so thought that was fine. At least my legs were not moving. 



It was a VERY anxious moment waiting for the arival of the bus.  I had been sold several tickets by a glum taciturn girl who announced, "I am not sure how much it costs to Borganes but this will get you to Rekjavik so you should be ok". Do I need to book my bike on or inform them of my wanting to be picked up were questions that were met with a basic grunt and snuffle from the upturned nose.  Nice!  

As I waited on the side of the road in a howling gale, I put on my high vis jacket and looked anxiously up the road.  What if they didn't stop? What if it's full what if they can't take my bike?   But this is Iceland and everyone, well apart from the Trolls seem to be helpful. 

The bus hurtled in towards my windmilling yellow arms and out jumped the driver.  "Ok. Let's stick it on the back."  My Bike!!!! What should I do.  My bike with panniers and tent etc attached was hauled onto the back bike carrier and attached with two small bungees.  "You might want to take the helmet he said."  I wanted to run screaming never mind take the helmet! 

To cap it all the bus hurtled down and up the mountain pass whilst the bus driver chatted on his mobile or was turned looking at his passengers and having full conversations with the very laid back in mates.   We arrived safe and sound and my bike was unscathed. Living in a risk averse society can be a bugger on your nerves. 
Fish Pic no 4

No comments: