Saturday 2 August 2014

Far side of the mountain

I was pleased when I woke in the morning knowing that my day was planned for a look at the town of Rekjavicj.  I had heard a lot about it and how one must have a look "down town". 

I am always aware that the day before an airport departure can be hard to deal with  and I'd hoped that this was not going to be one of them.  I also hoped to take lots if interesting pictures of the town but alas it didn't have the wow factor that I'd hoped.  

The juxtaposition of utilitarian square buildings and the zinc older styled houses doesn't do it for me. I prefer the zinc style, it's colourful clean lines work.  But as I was walking through the suburbs I thought how the town probably works really well in winter when the green has gone and you have the stark white and pale grey stucco block buildings.  The light bouncing around these walls must be spectacular. And I will give them their use of glass.  The windows are always expansive. 

Interestingly the modern block style really sits well in the stark countryside. (Apologies no pic!) I think it's because if this use if glass and clean lines.  It's not trying to be part of the countryside it just sits there. The couloirs are always harmonious though. Think lichen and bark and there you have the colour palette. 

Tea was called for. 
I took myself into a bistro cafe for toast, marmalade and a cup of Earl Grey.  I was about to take a picture then realised my blog was beginning to look like some sort of breakfast club. So I leave it to your imagination and give you the window display instead. 

The town mimics a strange blend of Brighton and Regent street.  


Avant guard and hip but also aiming directly at the tourists. I smiled at how it felt to be a tourist.  The high street was certainly busy enough. It's quite strange to also walk down a high street that has none of the usual formats. Plenty of outdoor wear shops and tourist information shops and you couldn't move for Icelandic jumpers.  There was one telling sign in a window that said, all marked hand made craft has been made in Iceland. Hmmmmm?? Say no more. 

After I had Trolled around for a while I made my way to the Icelandic Saga center, a museum which presents a London Dungeons style view of the history of the island. I was fascinated and entertained.  I am drawn to the strange history of his island, the taking of Irish women as slaves, battles with Indians the discovery of grapes and the bloody battles of Cheiftan clans.  And that's not to mention the role of women in Icelandic history. They are depicted as strongly independent individuals who have played a great part in the founding of the country. 

After forcing myself away from the Viking dress. up corner (there was no one there to take a picture!)  I headed off to the Museum of photography. There was a exhibition on that had caught my eye.
 It was fascinating.  If you would like to see the dying culture of Greenland, Iceland and Siberia, this man has made it his life's work to record the demise through his photos. Something to look for on my return. A Brilliant photo journalist.


I didn't take this for the fountain, I simply wanted to show how popular ice cream is in this country.  When it's been blowing a gale and I am cuddled up in my fleece, there they are eating ice cream. I wonder if it's the same principle of the refreshing nature of a hot cup if tea on a sunny day in England?

What I was really impressed with was this children's play ground! This must be heaven to play in.  Defiant key no risk assessment here!


Once back at the camp I begin to pack my bike away.  He's going to need a damn good clean to get rid of the ash and dust. It's with great sadness that I close the lid. We have had such fun. But now it's time to gather all my bits together and wait for the 3.30 am bus to the airport.  I'm not signing off tonight as I'd like to muse whilst flying over the skies as to my thoughts on this trip. So we are not quite done yet. 







No comments: