Tuesday 31 July 2012

Saintes to Bordeaux.

I was up with the sun today to have the chance to visit the abbey in Saintes and still make it out on the road a 'Bon heure'.

There was a beautiful low lying mist that encircled the abbey. When the bells tolled at 8.00 am the doors were opened and I had the whole place to myself. Beautiful. The bells were awesome.

The sunflowers were stunning and my day was idyllic with the sun beating down over the vineyards of Cognac and Haute Medoc. Part ofy route took me down soil tracks between the vines. Well it looked ok on the Garmin :-) I made good progress and realised that yesterday I was hampered by the headwind. Yes that old excuse.

I have Valerie to thank for showing me how to avoid sun stroke by wearing a cap under my helmet. Apart from looking like Super Mario it worked a treat. Thank you!

Quick ferry ride to the other side of the river/inlet at Gironde was a perfect stop over. Funny that there were three cyclists all single travellers and not one of us broke silence !!! It's not because we were being rude but I fear more like the spell of the 'way'.

So my biggest day tomorrow. Bordeaux to Dax. 105 miles. Right better get some sleep as I need to be up and out before Bordeaux comes to like.

Staying in a Bel Air hotel tonight. Have you ever had a shower in a train toilet cubicle? It the only comparison I can find! Sheets are lovely and cool though.

No comments: