Wednesday 24 August 2016

Koln to Koblenz

Travelling down the Rhine has it's up as well as it's down points. The up being you can never really get lost with a huge river on your left but the down side is that it can be a 'tad' monotonous.  
As ever ithe long drag out of the city is just tedious and always takes twice as long as you would excpect.  Needless to say I scurried from cycle path to cycle path making my way across the city. So why use the cycle paths ? Well on one hand it would be rude not to... As they are extremely well constructed but the other factor is that you can concentrate on where you are heading and not the traffic. Having ventured onto the main roads the waving of the drivers sort of suggested that if they are there you use them. Probably illegal not to!


The imagery as per yesterday went from pretty to industrial.  But there were still images to be had and I wasn't unhappy with the juxtaposition. 
Time was marching on and I was coming to the Moselle and the Rhine confluence. Where the two rivers meet. Apparently the word Koblenz  means 'corner' where two directions converge.  

Looking for a campsite is always a hit or miss situation but that can be fun if you are in the right mood.  I simply use my trusty Garmin, find a reference to campsite and if it's in the right direction let the Garmin decide.  Tonight I was not amused.  I had a deadline of getting to a camp that would serve food as I hadn't eaten properly the day before and I knew I had to be careful.  

Garmin, bless it, thought it would be fun to take me off track and into the surrounding lanes.  I went right, left, back and forth and finally as Garmin had decided I should try my hill climbing legs I started to go upwards. I was about to loose the plot and give up on my trusty guide. But as I have learnt from the journeys before, giving up is a que for a sign for perseverance patience and "Stop Swearing at the Garmin" moment.  Bearing in mind I was in the middle of nowhere this
was@waiting for me at the very top.  You may remember the symbol as the sign for the Camino to Compestela and considering I'd just left Jack the day before I thought it was hilarious.  Laughing out loud I looked skywards, nodded, patted my Garmin and set off. Sure enough I arrived at a fab campsite with an open cafe and all was well in the world.  Well that was the case but it was the fastest pitch of tent to date as the kitchen closed in 15 minutes.  

Campsite appraisal? Excellent apart from the numpty who has forgotten to switch the TV/Rasio off.

1 comment:

Rene said...

The universe has its eye on you...so do I x