Friday 26 August 2016

Getting out of Dodge

Up early and packed up in record time. 
This is the best expression of cycling  chaos I can think of.  Now I don't know whether it's just me, but there is this silent appraisal from soloists as to how quick they can get back on the road.  It's never spoken and maybe it is all in my head but it gives me a focus to the daily ritual as I try to make the rebuild process look smooth and streamline. I now have it down to 45 minutes from wake up. Not that I'm counting! 

Getting the hell out of Dodge was a fantastic feeling.  Today was going to be down to Garmin.  I had stuck a pin in the digital map along my chosen route but Garmin was going to help chop the corner off for me. and 

My happy ness levels were restored as soon as I left the city and headed out into the adjacent countryside. My heart began to soare as the houses were left behind and replaced by miles and miles of agricultural farmland and open countryside.  

Garmin is adamant that I test my climbing legs again.  This time it was a full on steady long climb up over the hills in order to descend into Bavaria and the river Main valley.  When I eventually reached the top of the first hill I looked around and gave a sigh.  ( that was after several pants to get my breath back ) This was my kind of place. Unlike the desolate expanse of last years terrain this was lush and wooded. 
You could see for miles from the top of the next stage. I must admit I was very jealous of the trio on carbon, sprightly bikes tackling this 'Grand Pass' as one of them put it.  They had room to talk and laugh, I had room only to mop the sweat from my brow and gulp water.  By the way the temperature is soaring and it's very hot. Not that I'm complaining as it's perfect sock drying weather.

The descent into the Main valley was awesome. My lovely Shand flew down the open road and was well steady. The last time I had travelled at speed in this manner was in Spain. I remember my little Dolce had struggled with the on board weight and the rim brakes were not brilliant. So this was a luxury. 

The Main river is as far away from the Rhine as can be imagined.  Whilst the latter was impressive and grand in it's appearance, the Main was soft, calm and welcoming.  This was a river where families gathered in the warm sunshine to swim and laugh with others.  A social river indeed. 
No comparison really.  I decided to be picky about my campsite tonight, I even went into one and came out again pretty sharply because it was not what I was looking for.  Tonight I have soft lush green grass and the view is not that different to what you see above.  Heaven. 

Crossing the road list... A Kit Harrington lookalike... No kidding! Now I know Kit doesn't like to be objectified and rightly so. But such a handsome chap he is that this look alike almost toppled me off balance as I spun my head around to check it wasn't actually him. (Kit Harrington plays Jon Snow in Game if Thrones by the way). 

1 comment:

Rene said...

It looks beautiful x